At Energy Transfer and with Rover pipeline, safety is our top priority. Our goal is to provide safe and reliable natural gas service to the communities we cross and to the customers we serve. Rover Pipeline implements all Federal standards into the design and operations of the pipeline and in many instances we exceed Federal standards to ensure a safe and reliable pipeline. Some of the safety measures we are incorporating into Rover include:
- We design, construct, operate, and maintain the pipeline to meet or exceed Federal and safety requirements, and use equipment and materials that meet or exceed industry standards.
- We inspect every weld that joins each section of pipe both visually and with x-rays.
- We install pressure and temperatures sensors along the pipeline at mainline valves, compressor stations, and meter stations to automatically shut off the flow of gas through pipe sections in emergencies.
- We inspect and hydrotest at higher than normal operating pressure before placing the pipeline in service.
- We use an emergency shutdown system to immediately and safely shutdown compressor stations.
- We install special regulation devices to prevent gas pressure from exceeding safe limits.
- 24/7 monitoring of gas flow pressures by a centralized Gas Control Center. Pipeline can be shut down by a Gas Control operator, or deploy field personnel to manually shut down the pipeline.
- We perform routine ground and aerial leak inspections of the pipeline at a minimum 26 times per year. Energy Transfer typically flies the pipeline every 10 days, weather permitting.
- We test and calibrate controls and safety equipment on a routine basis.
- We coordinate with local emergency responders.
- We post signs to indicate the location of the pipeline and a phone number to call before digging.
- We support statewide underground utility damage prevention programs. The Rover Pipeline will utilize the 811 One-Call System.
- We train local authorities in preventing and responding to any pipeline related problems.
- We support local authorities with professionals and services from Rover Pipeline.